A video tribute to Dr. John H. Tanton
The Social Contract Press
A video tribute to John H. Tanton, M.D. (1934-2019). John Tanton was an ophthalmologist and eye surgeon and founder of the modern immigration reform movement. Dr. Tanton was publisher and former editor of The Social Contract.
As a strong conservationist and leading advocate for the environment, Dr. John Tanton founded the Petoskey, Michigan regional Audubon Society. He has been active in a number of environmental organizations, both locally and nationally. Dr. Tanton recognized that continued human population growth is a significant contributor to environmental problems and he therefore became involved with the Sierra Club Population Committee and became President and board member of Zero Population Growth.
As immigration became the driving force behind unending U.S. population growth, John Tanton founded FAIR - the Federation for American Immigration Reform. John Tanton is pro-immigrant and pro-legal immigration, but at reduced, sustainable numbers. He states:
"The stresses caused by population growth cannot be solved by international migration. They must be confronted by and within each individual nation. Fundamental to the concept of national rights and responsibilities is the duty of each nation to match its population with its political, social, and environmental resources, in both the short and the long term. No nation should exceed what the biologists call its 'carrying capacity.'"
This video is a tribute to the life and accomplishments of Dr. John Tanton. John Rohe and KC McAlpin were interviewed in July, 2016. John Tanton was interviewed in September, 2006.
Produced and edited by Fred Elbel, September 28, 2016.
For more information, see The John Tanton website.
Read the Fall 2019 Social Contract Journal:
Here are direct links to the articles:
- A Note from the Editor: John Tanton and Thirty Years of The Social Contract, by Wayne Lutton, Ph.D.
- The End of an Era: John Tanton (1934-2019) and The Social Contract (1990-2019), by The Editors
- Visionary, Ecological Prophet, Heretic - R.I.P. John Tanton, M.D., by Leon Kolankiewicz
- Tribute to John Tanton, by Fred Elbel
- A Visionary, 'Renaissance Man', by Sharon Barnes
- John's Jades: Recollections at the celebration of the life of John Tanton, by Roy Beck
- Fond Memories of John Tanton: The 'Grand Master of Life', by Denis McCormack
- Candidate Tanton, by Rick Oltman
- Same Hacks Smearing John Tanton Are Shilling for Soros, by James Kirkpatrick
- Of Conspiracy Theories and Funhouse Mirrors, by The Editors
- John and Mary Lou Tanton: An Appreciation, by Richard D. Lamm
- The Relationship of Legal to Illegal Immigration, by John H. Tanton, M.D.
- John Tanton, Citizen Activist, by Alan Wall
- On John Tanton and The Camp of the Saints, by Michelle Malkin
- A Citizen Who Took Up Arms for His Country, by Peter Brimelow
- Summary Thoughts on Immigration Policy, by John H. Tanton, M.D.
- Fundamentals, by John H. Tanton, M.D.
- Some Concluding Thoughts on John Tanton, by The Editors
- Enabling Asylum Fraud - The Strange Case of a Federal Employees Union, by Carl F. Horowitz
- How Montgomery County, Maryland Protects Illegal Aliens, by Dave Gibson
- CAIR Persists in Relentless Effort to Silence Critics with Latest 'Islamophobia' Report - But makes a fool of itself in the process, by James Simpson
- The 25th Anniversary of California's Proposition 187, by Rick Oltman
- Is Climate Change the Big Distraction? - The issue sidetracks the public from focusing on human population growth, by Brenda Walker
- Immigration Restriction: A Positive Agenda, by John Vinson
- Financing Our Own Dispossession, by Martin Witkerk
- Border Defenders' Action Plan, by Michelle Malkin
- Meltdown in the USSR - The story of the Chernobyl nuclear disaster and its import, by Leon Kolankiewicz